If you’ve been with me for a while, you know what time it is. It’s time to make your Success List!
This is an annual ritual of writing down all your successes for this year before creating your goals or resolutions for the new year.
We rarely pause to celebrate and savor all we have accomplished, professionally and personally, before moving on to the next thing on our eternal “to do” list.
This simple, conscious practice will not only make you feel good and help with your work-life balance, but it will also give you the confidence and focus you need to achieve your 2017 goals.
Here’s what to do.
- Start by writing numbers one through 20 down the left margin of your paper so you’ll list at least 20 successes. More is better!
- Consider what you’re most proud of this year, including your family, health, work, finances and fun.
- Then, go deeper to the lessons learned and gifts that come from disappointments and setbacks. Yes, those lessons are successes, too!
- Once your Success List is complete, share it with others–from coworkers and employees to friends and family–and invite them to do the same. Our family has been doing this for more than a decade.
Two of my 2016 successes are:
1. I welcomed exciting, new clients, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where I conduct vision board workshops for their high-potential employees.
2. I helped plan and host, with my husband, Rick, the best wedding we’ve ever been to, for our daughter, Allyson, and her husband, Caleb.
What’s one of your successes? Please share it here! We can savor and celebrate it together.