Last week, I shared with you the key takeaways from the first part of my leadership development program, Work-Life Balance Wisdom: The Why, What and How of Better Balance. You can read about determining your why here.
This week, my question is: What are you balancing? I ask this because knowing the what will help you assess and prioritize your time, energy and other resources. Above is a list of the typical areas we all must manage and maintain. Everything from work, family and relationships to finance, health and fun.
Here’s what to do:
- Rate each area on a satisfaction scale of one to ten, in terms of where you are/where you want to be. (This is not about achieving perfect tens.)
- Give yourself a pat on the back for areas that you feel are under control.
- Review the other areas and consider what you can do to increase your satisfaction. (Often that answer entails delegating duties and aligning with someone who can hold you accountable.)
- To keep yourself motivated to make changes, remember your why.
- Do this assessment monthly to track your successes and continue to make improvements.
Take some time in the next week to fill out this satisfaction scale and decide at least one change you will make.
Share your insights here and inspire others!
Next week, I’ll show you how to enjoy better balance by using three key strategies.